Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Happy St. Patrick's Day!

My father's side of the family is very Irish.  I grew up having corned beef and cabbage with carrots, potatoes, and irish soda bread every year on March 17.  We would also get together with family and other Irish friends to celebrate.  Unfortunately, I haven't tried to make corned beef on my own yet but I may try it this year or next.  I definitely want my children to grow up with that tradition, especially since my husband has some Irish blood in him.  The one thing I have made is Irish Potato Candies.  They are little coconut candies that look like potatoes.


They are very easy to make.  If you would like to try the recipe, here it is.

Ingredients

  • 2 tablespoons butter, softened
  • 1/4 (8 ounce) package cream cheese
  • 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 2 cups confectioners' sugar
  • 1-1/4 cups flaked coconut
  • 1-1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon

Directions

In a medium bowl, beat the butter and cream cheese together until smooth. Add the vanilla and confectioners' sugar; beat until smooth. Using your hands if necessary, mix in the coconut. Roll into balls or potato shapes, and roll in the cinnamon. Place onto a cookie sheet and chill to set. If desired, roll potatoes in cinnamon again for darker color.


No comments:

Post a Comment