Friday, March 5, 2010

Natural Remedy for Allergies and the Common Cold

Well, it's that time of year again.  The itchy eyes, runny nose, and sore throat are back again.  It tends to stay away during the winter months but as soon as the weather gets warmer, they're ba-ack!  So a few years ago, my mother and sister turned me onto my new favorite remedy...  

The Neti Pot  


You use a saline solution (you can buy packets at the store or make your own).  You use the neti pot to pour the solution in one nostril and let it drain out the other.  It sounds weird but it really works to clean out your sinuses.  You just have to make sure you breathe through your mouth or you'll swallow it, not fun.

I've noticed that when I use my neti pot, my throat doesn't hurt as much, if at all, and my nose is cleared for a while.  The nice thing about the neti pot is that you can use it as many times in a day as you want.  With medicine you have to be careful not to take too much in a day or you can really harm yourself.  It is also perfectly safe to use during pregnancy and breastfeeding when you have to limit the types of medication you use.  There are days when I use my neti pot up to six times.

No comments:

Post a Comment